In a series of TikTok videos, television personality and science commentator Bill Nye shares the importance of wearing a face mask amid the .
“Everybody, this is a matter literally of life and death,” Nye said on Wednesday. “And when I use the word literally I mean literally a matter of life and death.”
Nye then urges everyone to wear a mask while in public and shows the difference between cloth face coverings, N95 masks and surgical masks by trying to blow out a candle through each mask.
“The reason we want you to wear a mask is to protect you, sure,” Nye said. “But the main reason we want you to wear a mask is to protect me from you, and the particles from your respiratory system from getting into my respiratory system.”
As of Thursday, the videos had racked up more than 1.2 million views and were trending on Twitter.
The US Center of Disease Control says COVID-19 spreads mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezed or talks. These droplets can then land in the mouths and noses of other people, or be inhaled into the lungs.The CDC recommends that everyone wear a cloth face covering while in public, especially when other social distancing measures can’t be practiced, to avoid spreading the coronavirus.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20’s biggest feature is actually OS updates. Let me explain
- The best battery-powered security cameras for 2020
- The best gas grill of 2020: Weber, Char-Broil and more models we love
- Hydrogen supercar concept debuts, 2020 Chevy Corvette driven: Roadshow week in review
- Europe’s largest 3D-printer just made its first two-story house
- iPhone 11 vs. iPhone XS: Depends on which phone you already own
- Can you Facetune a video? You can now, and here’s how its new iPhone app works
- In Lovecraft Country on HBO, racial commentary meets witches and vampires
- Ted Lasso: You don’t need to love soccer to love Jason Sudeikis’ new comedy