Listened to the Hamilton soundtrack so many times you could sing every lyric and hum every harmony? Here’s a new Hamilton tune for your ears.
On Thursday, the musical’s creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, tweeted a Soundcloud link to the first draft of a song called I Have This Friend that never made it into the show.
“Wish I could send you peace of mind via this app,” Miranda wrote, seeming to allude to the widespread tumult caused by the coronavirus, which has shut down cultural eventsfor at least a month. “Alas. But I can send you music no one’s heard.”
“I don’t think I even showed it to Tommy Kail,” Hamilton wrote of the director who helmed the Off-Broadway and Broadway versions of the hit musical show.
The song, Miranda said on Soundcloud, would have gone where the tune Hurricane is now. In that powerful number, fittingly, American founding father Alexander Hamilton sings of surviving a disaster. “When I was 17, a hurricane destroyed my town I didn’t drown. I couldn’t seem to die.”
The new song appeared to lift the spirits of Miranda’s Twitter followers, some of whom are no doubt members of the New York theater community facing professional uncertainty at the moment.
“Thank you for saving this for a ‘rainy day’ as it were,” one Twitter user responded. “The world needs a little joy right now.”
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com