Students lesson 21 assignment: How do you copy and paste clipboard content between VirtualBox host and guest machines?
We’ve written quite a bit about VirtualBox and virtualization software on this site. We wrote that VirtualBox is a very critical tool for IT professionals and students learning to become IT pros.
This brief tutorial is going to describe the steps needed to drag n’ drop content between VirtualBox host computer and guest machines. It’s a very useful feature that you’ll love.
Before you can use all these features that come with VirtualBox, you must first install VirtualBox’s guest addition tool. This tool comes with VirtualBox host software and can be installed easily.
After the guest addition tool is installed, go to and select the guest machine and click Settings as shown below:
Then select General –> Advanced and change the options for Shared Clipboard and Drag n’ Drop to Bidirectional as shown in the image below.
This is how to enable clipboard and content copy and paste between the host machine and guest machines.
As we said earlier, this will only work if the guest addition tool is installed. This guide applies to both Linux and Windows systems.
When these features are enabled, you’ll be able to copy and paste text and other content between the host computer and the guest systems. This can be Windows host pasting to Linux guest and vice versa.
In addition to enabling the copy/paste and drag ‘n drop, you’ll also enable mouse integration with the guest and video performance improvement.
You may also like the tutorial below:
- Installing VirtualBox on Windows 10
- Import VMware Workstation Guest Machines to VirtualBox
- Installing VirtualBox 5.2 on Ubuntu 17.04 / 17.10
- How to Fix VboxClient Fail to Start Error on Ubuntu VirtalBox Guest Machines
- How to Install Windows 10 Pro Guest Machine on VirtualBox Software
- Enable VirtualBox VM to VM Communications on Windows / Ubuntu 16.04 / 18.04
- Install / Upgrade VirtualBox to 6.0 on Windows 10
- Lesson 6: Installing VirtualBox on Ubuntu Systems
- Lesson 11 : Get VirtualBox for Windows Systems