Attention video quality snobs on a budget: theI reviewed last year, , is available for $1,000 today through Sunday, July 5 at Best Buy.
And ifisn’t big enough there’s also a on sale for $1,800. Both match the lowest prices I’ve ever seen for this TV. You can certainly pay a lot less for TVs this big, but you won’t get near this level of picture quality.
If you haven’t heard of the 8-Series, it’s a display technology tour de force. It’s the only TV on the market to use a full-array local dimming backlight with, which delivers superb brightness and deep black levels that no other LCD-based TV can match. In my side-by-side comparison between it and competing 2019 high-end TVs, namely the and , the TCL was a better performer overall. The only TVs I’ve seen with a better picture are , which cost nearly twice as much.
Both 8-Series TVs were last available in May and June for the same price as part of one-day sales. Best Buy says the savings is “$1,000 off” for the 65-inch version, but that refers to the original MSRP of $2,000; the savings is actually $600 based on its normal selling price of $1,600. The savings for the 75-inch model? A $1,200 discount based on the $3,000 MSRP or $900 off its normal selling price. Either way, this sale represents a deep discount for both sizes.
TCL’s fine print: “These offers will only be valid at BestBuy.com and Best Buy stores across the US until 11:59 p.m. CST of their respective day, online and until stores close, while supplies last.”
Originally published earlier this year. Updated with new deal details.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
- Best DNA test in 2020: 23andMe vs. AncestryDNA and more
- Peacock unanswered questions: Amazon and Roku apps, 4K, profiles, downloads, new movies and more
- Best back-to-school MacBook for 2020: MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro
- Mercedes-Benz shows off the forthcoming S-Class’ new interior and it’s gorgeous
- Best USB-C accessories and cables for 2020
- Hello, America host Nish Kumar tries to make sense of our dystopian nightmare
- Ford Bronco Hybrid could make over 450 hp but is a ways off, report says
- T. Rex’s 115-million-year-old British beach-bum cousin found
- Best college laptop in 2020: Apple, Dell, Microsoft and more