Something strange happened over the Arctic this year. The European Commission’s Copernicus satellite program tracked the unusual occurrence, and now has evidence that the hole healed itself.
The ozone layer acts like sunscreen for the Earth, protecting life from harmful ultraviolet radiation. The most famous ozone hole is the one that.
Arctic ozone holes aren’t completely unheard of. There was a similar, event in 2011, though not as large. The Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) described this year’s northern hemisphere hole as record-breaking and unusual.
The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts research institute announced the healing event last week, saying “the unprecedented 2020 northern hemisphere ozone hole has come to an end.”
The discovery of the Antarctica ozone hole spurred a global effort to reduce the use of harmful chemicals that contribute to the opening. The Arctic hole, however, isn’t traced to human activity, but to what the“unusual atmospheric conditions,” including a powerful of swirling cold air.
CAMS described the 2020 Arctic polar vortex as “exceptionally strong and long lived.” Frigid low temperatures in the stratosphere also played into the hole’s formation. Once the polar vortex eased up, the hole was able to close.
While the Arctic hole is taking care of itself, the Antarctica hole remains a concern. There is some good news on that front. NASA announced in 2018 the first direct proof of ozone recovery due to the chemicals ban. The 2019 hole was , but the healing process is still expected to take decades.
- The best gaming laptop performers for 2020: Alienware, Origin PC and more compared
- The best gaming chair to seat yourself in for 2020
- Zuckerberg-funded researchers push Facebook to block ‘incendiary’ posts
- Best foam rollers for muscle stiffness and soreness, according to pros
- Apple Card installment plan coming soon for AirPods, iPads, Macs, says report
- Best teeth whitening strips and toothpaste
- Best snack subscription box
- The best Father’s Day gifts for dad in 2020
- Best laptop for college students in 2020: Apple, Dell, Microsoft and more