The neweste-reader, released in November 2018, is on sale for $85, or $45 off its list price of $130. Previously it’s been discounted to $90, but $85 is the lowest price we’ve seen for our favorite e-reader.
Meanwhile, the new entry-level Kindle, which features an integrated light, is also being discounted: it’s $60, which is $30 off. That’s also a good deal, but the Paperwhite is arguably worth the extra $30 because it has a higher-resolution display (and is waterproof).
If you’re shopping for someone who’s looking for a dedicated e-reader, this is a great deal. The Paperwhite is the Goldilocks in Amazon’s line:
- It’s 10% thinner and lighter than the previous version.
- It has a “flush-front” design with a back made of a softer, grippy material instead of hard plastic.
- It’s fully waterproof, like the high-end , and has a plastic screen that Amazon says is shatter- and scratch-resistant.
- It has built-in Bluetooth for integration with Amazon’s Audible audiobook service.
It was an enthusiastic CNET Editors’ Choice at $130. At $85, it’s a very good deal. It’s likely that Amazon will update the Paperwhite in 2020, but it’s unclear when or how much of an upgrade it will be. For instance, USB-C charging could be added and perhaps the lighting scheme could be updated. The device could also get slightly thinner. Read the full.
Originally published last year. Updated with new sale prices.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing