Ol Pejeta Game Reserve has taken the battle against poaching a notch higher and deployed an arsenal of anti-poaching equipments.
The conservation’s ranger uses a 360 ° camera films the area and relays round-the-clock possible intrusions to the reserve headquarters. The camera is part of high-tech equipment launched last month by the conservation as part of the first high-tech laboratory for wildlife, a research center located in the heart of the sanctuary to integrate new technologies into the daily management of animal reserves.
“What’s bothering me with the world of wildlife protection is our slow pace of adopting new technologies and putting in place new ways of doing things – it has to change,” said Richard Vigne, the director general of Ol Pejeta.
What’s bothering me with the world of wildlife protection is our slow pace of adopting new technologies and putting in place new ways of doing things – it has to change.
Computer engineers at Ol Pejeta test the next generation of animal geo-location chips and develop sensors that will one day provide information on the health status of rangers, river levels etc.
The private reserve on Kenya’s Laikipia plateau is home to the last two northern white rhinos in the world – two females – and the largest population in East Africa of black rhinos, a critically endangered species.
The 360 km2 reserve with 250 rangers responsible for security is battling the high threat of poaching. Last year, three rhinos were killed, their horns sectioned and carried away, in the Meru National Park, on the other side of Mount Kenya.
- [LLODO] Texas funeral became coronavirus superspreader event after 42 were sickened, family claims
- [LLODO] Small Business Saturday more critical this holiday season amid coronavirus pandemic
- [LLODO] Nevada random shooting spree leaves 1 dead, 4 hurt; suspects arrested in Arizona, police say
- [LLODO] Rep.-elect Burgess Owens, retired NFLer, touts GOP’s ‘Freedom Force’ to oppose AOC’s ‘Squad’
- [LLODO] Texas police find woman’s body in trunk after car chase ends in crash
- [LLODO] Governors in NJ, Arkansas view lockdowns as last resort amid coronavirus surge
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Trump insists Wisconsin, Pennsylvania election fights far from over
- [LLODO] Biden still ahead as Wisconsin completes recount; certification deadline looms
- [LLODO] Minnesota officer, 2 others shot, suspect arrested after hours-long standoff