The identity of Rey’s parents in the Star Wars universe seemed to have been answered by Rian Johnson’s : They were nobodies — filthy junk traders who sold her off for drinking money on the slave planet Jakku.
But J.J. Abrams’ follow-up, failed clone by the . Rey’s parents abandoned her to protect her from her evil grandfather., provided a second, definitive answer: Rey’s father is related to Emperor Palpatine and was later clarified to be a
“I think one of the themes of the [The Last Jedi] is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you’re from,” Abrams said, acknowledging Johnson’s take on the character’s heritage.
“And I don’t know if it resonates for everyone but I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you’re not particularly excited about following or proud of.”
However, Abrams’ wanted to take Rey to an even darker place.
“And though I completely understand ‘you’re nobody’ is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was the idea that you’re from the worst possible place.
“And is that thing that you feel that you know is part of you somehow, that you’re haunted by, is that your destiny? And the idea that there are things more powerful than blood, as Luke says, that thing was a really important thing to convey for us.”
The Rise of Skywalker included several elements that seemed to retcon its predecessor: The reduced role of Rose Tico spurred, while Palpatine’s surprise return from the dead yoinked Kylo Ren’s Supreme Leader title from The Last Jedi.
You can see those retcons and more by streaming The Rise of Skywalker,. Or, even better, watch Johnson’s .
All the Star Wars movies, from the cheesy to the great, ranked
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com