(WBNG) — Local fire officials are warning there are several common things people do that may unknowingly be putting them in danger.
Lithium ion batteries are found in typical products such as cellphones, laptops and e-cigarettes.
These batteries have a habit of exploding when they overheat, typically when using a cheap charger not made by the manufacturer according to officials.
Fire officials had some advice for people hoping to avoid a tragedy.
“Use it properly. Don’t keep it under your pilow at night, it’s a terrible idea, don’t use it when it’s charging you know,” said Captain Timothy O’Neill, the assistant fire marshall for the City of Binghamton. “Set it down, step away from your phone for a few minutes, read a book.”
It’s more than just not using these devices while they’re charging. Fire officials say you shouldn’t use it while in bed because mattresses accelerate the growth of a fire.
“Mattress fires in themselves usually cause a lot of damage,” Captain O’Neill told 12 News on Monday. “The fuel package is there and we do see a lot of bedroom fires.”
- [LLODO] Indianapolis FedEx shooting leaves at least 8 dead; suspect kills self: reports
- [LLODO] Daunte Wright shooting: Is progressive push putting due process in jeopardy?
- [LLODO] New York elementary principal charged with sexually abusing students during school hours
- [LLODO] NY Health Department surveyor potentially exposes NYC nursing home to COVID-19, source reveals
- [LLODO] Adam Toledo case: AOC says prosecutor ‘lied about police killing a child’
- [LLODO] New Hampshire lifts coronavirus mask mandate
- [LLODO] Rep. Ritchie Torres’ Big Idea: Create permanent monthly child allowance payments to parents
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student