Fortnite: Battle Royale is already a one around the globe. Now, with governments shutting down schools, entertainers canceling events and even , the game appears to be getting even bigger.
“We reported an increase of more than 70% of Internet traffic over our landline network, with a big contribution from online gaming such as Fortnite,” Telecom Italia Chief Executive Officer Luigi Gubitosi said on a conference call, earlier reported by Bloomberg.
Epic, which makes Fortnite, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Activision said Call of Duty: Warzone, the newest addition to its series that was released this week, attracted 6 million people to play in its first 24 hours. “We’re just getting started,” the company tweeted.
As more people around the world are told to keep distance from one another, work remotely and, ideally, stay home, cabin fever could set in quick. It’s no wonder then that some people are retreating to the online world as a mental escape from the real one.
Bloomberg reported that Vodafone in the UK and Telia in Sweden are preparing for surging bandwidth demands. With schools now closing throughout the US, local carriers and services are likely not far behind.
Discord, a video and chat app surge as more people stay home., said it is expanding the number of people who can use its group video chat service up to 50 at a time as it expects demand to
Verizon in the US said in a statement Wednesday it hasn’t seen “a measurable increase in data usage” so far. But the company said it plans to spend as much as $18.5 billion this year upgrading its networks to support and more reliability. Verizon also said it will prioritize network demands of US hospitals, first responders and government agencies if its network comes under strain.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com