Remember 2018? Good year for games. Great year, even.
God of War, Celeste, Red Dead Redemption 2, Super Smash Bros., Return of the Obra Dinn. Good times.
But the best game of 2018* was Into the Breach, a turn-based strategy title from Subset Games about taking control of a trio of mechs to repel an alien race known as the Vek. You can now get the game for free from the Epic Games Store. The promotion lasts until Sept. 10.
Into the Breach feels very much like a board game and it plays so well. I’d argue it’s best played on the Switch, but look — it’s free. Zero dollars. And if you haven’t played it, you absolutely should.
Every level of Into The Breach features an eight-by-eight grid. Each run you take control of three mechs, each with different abilities in an attempt to quash all the enemies (or simply survive until you ward them off). Each playthrough requires you to formulate strategies based on your team and, when it’s all said and done, you do it again. While each run can be completed in short time, it’s the variability of the mechs and the ability to travel back in time when you make a mistake that really sells it.
I don’t know why you’re still reading. It’s free. It’s great. You should grab it.
*wait, it didn’t even make? This is criminal. Who do I have to talk to about this?
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing