UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is looking to scale back how much equipment from Huawei is being used in British 5G networks, according to a report Friday. The plan could see the Chinese networking giant completely removed from the UK’s next-gen mobile networks by 2023, the Telegraph said.
It follows right-wing politicians arguing against using gear from Chinese companies due to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the Telegraph. Huawei, 10 Downing Street, and the UK Cabinet didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Johnson approved Huawei for 5G in the UK in January with some conditions. The British restrictions are to exclude Huawei from building core parts of the UK’s 5G networks, have Huawei’s market share capped at 35% and exclude Huawei from sensitive geographic locations.
Huawei’s 5G approval there came despite the US urging the UK to ban the Chinese telecommunications giant.
Last month, aaccess to non-sensitive parts of its 5G network.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing