Hockey is probably the last sport you’d think of during the dog days of summer, but in this most unusual year, the NHL is back on the ice in August. Instead of resuming its regular season, which was suspended in March, the NHL is jumping straight to the Stanley Cup playoffs with 24 of its 31 teams.
Similar to the NHL resumed play in two hub cities. The Eastern Conference teams play in Toronto, and the Western Conference teams in Edmonton, Alberta. The Stanley Cup Finals will also be held in Edmonton., the
Here’s what cord-cutters need to know to watch all the Stanley Cup playoff action.
What’s the schedule this week?
The initial games of the restarted NHL schedule over the last couple weeks, dubbed the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, determined which teams advanced to the round of 16 that started last week. All series are best of seven games. Here’s the schedule for today and tomorrow.
Monday, Aug. 17
- Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (TB leads 2-1), 3 p.m. ET (12 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- Colorado Avalanche vs. Arizona Coyotes (COL leads 2-1), 5:30 p.m. ET (2:30 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- Boston Bruins vs. Carolina Hurricanes (BOS leads 2-1), 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks (VAN leads 2-1), 10:30 p.m. ET (7:30 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
Tuesday, Aug. 18
- Philadelphia Flyers vs. Montreal Canadiens (PHI leads 2-1), 3 p.m. ET (12 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- Calgary Flames vs. Dallas Stars (series tied 2-2), 5:30 p.m. ET (2:30 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders (NYI leads 3-0), 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
- Chicago Blackhawks vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights (VGK leads 3-1), 10:30 p.m. ET (7:30 p.m. PT) on NBCSN
How can I watch the Stanley Cup playoffs on TV?
In the US, playoff games will be shown nationally on NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, NHL Network and USA Network. If you’re a fan of your local team, you’ll be able to watch most games on your team’s regional sports network — a regional Fox Sports or NBC Sports channel in most cases, such as Fox Sports Midwest for St. Louis Blues games, MSG for Rangers or Islanders fans in the New York area, or NBC Sports Washington for Capitals games.
Depending on where you live, one of the major live TV streaming services could carry the local RSN that broadcasts your local team’s games. Not every service carries every RSN or local network such as NBC, however, and some teams aren’t available on any live TV streaming service, so check each one using the links below to make sure it carries the network you want in your area. I’ve also included information for NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, NHL Network and USA Network for national hockey broadcasts.
Sling TV’s $30-a-month Sling Blue package includes local NBC Sports RSNs, but not Fox Sports RSNs. Sling Blue also includes NBCSN and USA Network. NBC is also a part of Sling Blue but can be watched live in only a handful of markets. The $10-a-month Sports Extra add-on includes NHL Network, and the $5-a-month New Extra add-on includes CNBC.
FuboTV costs $60 a month and includes Fox and NBC Sports RSNs along with NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA Network. You can get NHL Network for an extra $11 a month with the Sports Plus add-on. Click here to see which local channels you get.
Hulu with Live TV costs $55 a month and includes Fox and NBC Sports RSNs. It also features NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA Network but not NHL Network. Click the “View channels in your area” link on its welcome page to see which local channels are offered in your ZIP code.
YouTube TV costs $65 a month and includes Fox and NBC Sports RSNs along with NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA Network but not NHL Network. Plug in your ZIP code on its welcome page to see which local networks are available in your area.
AT&T Now TV Now’s $55-a-month Plus package includes NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA Network, but you’ll need to spring for the $80-a-month Max package to also receive your local Fox or NBC Sports RSN. Neither plan features NHL Network. You can use its channel lookup tool to see which local channels are available where you live.
More home entertainment recommendations
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing