HOUSTON – Halliburton Co. has introduced 3D reservoir mapping, a logging-while-drilling (LWD) capability that is said to provide a detailed representation of subsurface structures to improve well placement in complex reservoirs.
3D inversion, an advanced reservoir mapping process, reveals overlooked features such as faults, water zones, or local structural variations that can alter the optimal landing trajectory of a well. In geosteering applications, the technology maximizes contact with oil and gas zones while mapping the surrounding formation to identify bypassed oil, avoid drilling hazards, and plan for future development, the company said.
“This unique technology moves beyond layered reservoir models to full 3D characterization of the reservoir, enabling accurate well placement,” said Lamar Duhon, vice president of Sperry Drilling. “In complex formations, visualizing data in a 3D environment helps operators significantly enhance reservoir understanding to drive better drilling decisions and maximize asset value.”
The 3D capability originates from downhole measurements taken by the EarthStar ultra-deep resistivity service, an LWD sensor that identifies reservoir and fluid boundaries up to 225 ft (69 m) from the wellbore. According to Halliburton, this range more than doubles the depth of detection of other industry offerings.
An operator in the North Sea recently deployed the 3D capability in a field with a long history of production and water injection. The company said the data allowed the operator to better assess the movement of reservoir fluids and visualize fault boundaries, which supported more accurate well placement and increased production.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’