For many Americans, Labor Day marks the end of summer, when we enjoy the last long weekend in the season’s waning warmth. But it’s also the day when the nation’s laborers take a well-deserved day off.
Falling each year on the first Monday of September, Labor Day is a national holiday that honors the social and economic achievements of American workers. Although already celebrated in dozens of states, it became an official federal holiday in 1894 after the deadly riots of the Pullman Strike, which pitted railway workers against the railroads and US government.
This year’s Doodle seems extra poignant amid the self-quarantined in a global effort to check the virus’ spread. Earlier this year, Google honored those heroes with a , thanking them for their dedication.pandemic, when many workers deemed essential stayed on the job, offering aid to those infected and helping maintain a sense of order while many of us
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing