A Spanish-speaking version of, the chat algorithm that can call businesses on your behalf, is launching in Spain Thursday, Google tells CNET. Initially pitched as a way for the Google Assistant to call restaurants and book reservations on your behalf, the service will be used in Spain for inquiring about store hours during .
“We rolled out Duplex in Spain specifically for only confirming store hours only during the health situation,” a Google spokesperson said. “At this time, this does not include making restaurant reservations or any other use cases for Duplex.”
It’s been a relatively quiet year for Duplex afterleft some rattled by the algorithm’s eerie ability to mimic human speech patterns, pauses and mannerisms. Google has since worked to make the service a little less unsettling, including a promise that it’ll to whoever it’s speaking to. The company also unveiled Duplex for Web, which promises to help users zip through things like booking a car rental online.
Last month, Google and Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai wrote a blog post detailing how Google was using Duplex to call businesses and inquire about their hours as part of an effort to keep Google’s listings accurate during the pandemic.
The rollout in Spain follows a recent Duplex debut in the UK, Canada and Australia. Google didn’t have anything to share on whether any other regions are up next.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com