If you’re a gamer — or just visit the Cheapskate pages occasionally — you probably know that Epic Games gives away at least one free game each Thursday. This week, Epic has lined up a pair of games that’ll tickle two different parts of your gaming brain. Remnant: From the Ashes is a hot action shooter with a co-op mode; The Alto Collection is an endless runner-style title that comprises two different games in one: Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey.
As always, once you download any or all of these games they are yours to keep forever, but you’ll have to lay claim before Thursday, Aug. 20. That’s when they’re replaced by Enter the Gungeon and God’s Trigger.
As an aside, if you came here looking for A Total War Saga: Troy, sorry — you missed that train. As promised, the game was free for 24 hours only and went back to full price Friday morning.
The world has been thrown into chaos by an ancient evil from another dimension. As one of the last remnants of humanity, you must set out alone or alongside up to two other survivors to face down hordes of deadly enemies to retake what was lost. That’s the premise of this third-person survival action shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by monstrous creatures.
Our friends at GameSpot said this: “For the most part, the experiment is a success, resulting in deeply satisfying combat against creative and challenging enemies.” You can read an in-depth review of Remnant: From the Ashes from our friends at GameSpot.
Try your hand at a charming single-player adventure game. Across the endless desert and atop an alpine expanse two journeys await, full of procedurally generated courses for snowboarding or sandboarding adventures.
This article is updated regularly with the current week’s free games.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing