If you’re a gamer — or just visit the Cheapskate pages occasionally — you probably know that Epic Games gives away one or more free games each week. This week, Epic has really outdone itself. The freebie is Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, the latest game in the long-running series (Sid Meier’s Civilization debuted in 1991).
This is a franchise with staying power, thanks to both strong gameplay and a dedicated fanbase. Civ 6 was released in 2016, and is still a fan favorite — in GameSpot’s review of the game, reviewer Scott Butterworth said, “Civ 6 has a few rough edges, but they’re pushed far into the periphery by spectacular strategic depth and intricate interlocking nuances. Any frustrations I experienced were immediately eclipsed by my desire to continue playing. Just one more turn, every turn, forever.” It earned a solid 9 on a 10-point scale. And while the game still routinely sells for $60, you can get anytime between now and next Thursday, May 28, when it’s replaced by a new free game.
There’s a huge amount of gameplay in Civ 6, both as a single-player and multiplayer game. It is a deep, well-rounded strategy game with multiple ways to evolve your empire, whether it’s through culture, religion, science, or conquest. And this game is still being expanded; you can grab expansions like theat the same time that you pick up your free core game (or upgrade later).
Oh, one other thing: Epic appears to now require your account to have two-factor authentication enabled to get these free games. If your account isn’t set up with 2FA, Epic will prompt you to do that before you can download Death Coming. It’s a good idea anyway and takes just a few minutes to do.
This article is updated regularly with the current week’s free games.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing