Retailers are finding new ways to combat card skimmers at gas pumps.
Gate Gas Station, which is headquartered in Jacksonville, upgraded all pumps with new alarm systems in the last year.
Now, if anyone tries to open the door to install a skimmer, the pump shut offs and an alarm sounds.
Paige Murray said her card has been skimmed twice in the last year.
“It’s an extreme inconvenience for this to continue to happen,” Murray said.
She said it’s always in the back of her mind when she pulls up to the pump.
“I always try to pull up where people can see from the inside,” Murray said. “I try to look to see if it’s been tampered with.”
RELATED: Local man claims debit card skimmed while purchasing gas at Jacksonville gas station | Number of skimmers found on gas pumps, ATMs in Florida this year already tops 2016, officials say | Thieves are using new technology to take money from families in multicounty skimming ring | Jacksonville skimmers among hundreds found at Florida gas stations
Action News Jax contacted to several other gas stations to find out what the retailers are doing to protect your personal information.
A spokesperson for RaceTrac Petroleum Inc. said in a statement, “Data theft is pervasive, and, like retailers everywhere, we are continually working with financial institutions, credit card companies and law enforcement to evaluate and update our security measures to keep guests protected.”
Racetrac said it implemented proprietary procedures to detect and deter skimming activity, including investing in the highest forms of security that are provided by pump manufacturers.
BP told Action News Jax it works very closely with independent marketers and banking partners on fraud-related issues.
In a statement, a BP spokesperson said, “BP’s fraud prevention program includes looking at preventative measures related to identifying and preventing skimming device use. BP shares best practices related to fraud prevention and has implemented several programs to help our marketers reduce fraud related incidents.”
Have you had your card skimmed at a gas station? Retailers are finding ways to crack down on card skimmers. The new technology being used at some local gas stations, coming up at 10PM on FOX30 @ActionNewsJax. pic.twitter.com/VC5o2cgmHM
— Christy Turner (@ChristyANJax) July 9, 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic
- Scientists capture image of black hole emitting high-energy jets – The Guardian
- American Medical Association To Washington: Focus On Science, Data And Not Ideology – Forbes
- Four win state science honors | Thestar – KPCnews.com
- Researching from home: Science stays social, even at a distance – MIT News
- Borderlands 3 bridges the gap between citizen science and blockbuster games – TechCrunch
- How to Stop Science Thieves – Scientific American
- EU working on privacy guidelines for phone location tracking of COVID-19
- 2020 Ford Ranger, F-150 and Expedition recalled over transmission troubles