More foreign countries, militias and other groups are targeting US intelligence agencies with outlines a strategy for addressing the hacking threat., according to a report Monday from the National Counterintelligence and Security Center. Not only that, but they’re increasingly targeting the private sector and government agencies that aren’t directly involved in national security, says the report, which
The strategic plan lists Russia, China, Iran and North Korea as major adversaries targeting the US with hacking, as well as Cuba and several non-state actors like Hezbollah, ISIS and Al Qaeda. Entities that hack or leak information for political purposes are also cited as threats in the report, in addition to “public disclosure organizations.”
“With the private sector and democratic institutions increasingly under attack, this is no longer a problem the US government can address alone,” said NCSC director William Evanina in a statement. “It requires a whole-of-society response involving the private sector, an informed American public, as well as our allies.”
The report comes at a time of increased focus on the US’ susceptibility to foreign hacking and election interference. It also comes the same day that the US Department of Justice announced it would indictin the 2017 hack of .
Government agencies and private sector organizations are increasingly vulnerable because more of the world is connected to the internet, the report says. That includes the growth of the internet of things market, which connects more household devices — and industrial processes — to the internet. A range of other technical advancements including high-resolution imagery, encryption and big data analytics allow more entities to gain information that would have previously required more sophistication and deeper pockets to obtain, the report says.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’