If you’re a gamer — or just visit the Cheapskate pages occasionally — you probably know that Epic Games gives away at least one free game each Thursday. This week, it’s a veritable bounty — not one, not two, but three games totaling $70 await. Epic is giving away Killing Floor 2, Lifeless Planet: Premier Edition and The Escapist 2. Killing Floor 2 is the undisputed keeper this week, but both of the other titles have their moments, and they’re all free.
All three games are Windows only — sorry, Mac folks — and you can download them for keeps anytime between now and Thursday, July 16.
Killing Floor 2 is a straight-ahead zombie shooter. The setting is Europe after it has been overrun by horrific, murderous clones that were created by rogue elements of the Horzine Corporation. Don’t look for a huge depth of gameplay: It’s a survival shooter with two uncomplicated, arcade-style gaming modes. As well as single-player, you get six- and 12-player co-op. The game is rated Mature.
Our friends at GameSpot reviewed Killing Floor 2 and concluded: “The game hones in on the basic appeal of killing zombies without the complications of reaching waypoints or setting up intricate fortifications. Yet Killing Floor 2’s strongest asset is in its simple yet effective combat — Tripwire could substitute the Zeds for robots or Nazis and still have a solid shooter on its hands.”
Epic’s sales pitch: “Risk it all to breakout from the toughest prisons in the world. Explore the biggest prisons yet! You’ll have to live by the prison rules, attending roll call, doing prison jobs and following strict routines; all the while engineering your bid for freedom.”
Reviews have been mixed, but a lot of people genuinely love this prison escape strategy game.
This article is updated regularly with the current week’s free games.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page.
- Biden’s top tech adviser makes regulation more likely – VentureBeat
- 10 things in tech you need to know today – Business Insider – Business Insider
- Duke at Georgia Tech Kick Time Set – Duke University – GoDuke.com
- The baby (tech) boom has arrived – harpersbazaar.com
- This month’s spotlight highlights Cosmetology, Construction Tech | News, Sports, Jobs – The Review
- Black Friday: Never break these 6 rules when buying tech gifts – CNET
- Alibaba CEO strikes conciliatory tone on China’s plans for tougher tech regulation – CNN
- Why Some Tech Workers Leaving Silicon Valley Are Changing Jobs – The Wall Street Journal
- Halting targeted advertising kills industries and dumbs down tech – Lowell Sun