Elon Musk spoke out against the ongoing in a Tuesday night tweet. In subsequent tweets he linked to a Wall Street Journal column arguing that the measures are ineffective in saving lives and to a story about Texas businesses planning to reopen on Friday.
“FREE AMERICA NOW,” the Tesla and SpaceX CEO wrote to his 33.3 million followers, echoing President Donald Trump’s from earlier this month.
Musk’s tweets drew criticism, with one Twitter user highlighting his March 19 prediction that the US would see “probably close to zero new cases” by the end of April (the US on Tuesday). Others supported his messaging — one suggested he was fighting “government tyranny.”
Shortly beforein March, Musk for tweeting that “the coronavirus panic is dumb.” Later that month, he pledged that his companies would for coronavirus patients, as hospitals suffered a shortage. He later said Tesla sent to 50 hospitals across the US.
The lockdown has had a huge impact on Tesla’s operations, with local government restrictionsabout when its Fremont, California, assembly plant will be able to reopen. It , after some over Alameda county’s shelter-in-place order.
The company is due to report its first-quarter earnings on Wednesday, when Musk himself could be in for a $720 million.
A Twitter spokesperson said in an emailed statement that Musk’s tweet is “currently not in violation” of its rules. The company noted that it wouldn’t take enforcement action on every tweet that contains incomplete or disputed information about COVID-19, but it has removed more than 2,400 tweets since it introduced on March 18. It also highlighted the effectiveness of its automated systems, which have challenged more than 3.4 million accounts for spamming or manipulating discussions about the pandemic.
The new strain of coronavirus, which can develop into a respiratory illness known as, was discovered in Wuhan, China, in December and has spread worldwide in the months since. As of Wednesday morning, it had infected and caused over 217,000 deaths globally.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com