My dad never knew much about his ancestry, so when I was 10 years old we went to North Carolina for summer vacation so he could visit the hall of records in the area where his dad grew up. Unfortunately, it had burned to the ground years earlier. We went home without learning a thing. Many years later, I took a DNA test and learned some truly eye-opening revelations about my real ancestry. Now’s your own chance — Ancestry is having a sale on its basic AncestryDNA kit as well as AncestryHealth, which adds an analysis of your inherited health risks. The deals end on Monday, Aug. 17.
Save $40 on the AncestryDNA test, which lets you see your ethnic breakdown and what regions of the world your famly has come from and get leads on other people you’re related to who have also taken the test. Simply send in your saliva sample using the prepaid package, and your report will be ready in six to eight weeks.
The AncestryHealth test is intended to give you insights about your well-being and offers next steps you can take with a health care provider. Ancestry also includes family health history tools and access to genetic counseling resources.
Originally published earlier this year. Updated with the latest deal.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our .
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing