New York Attorney General Letitia James demanded that Craigslist remove posts attempting to illegally profit off of consumers’fears. James said she’s also calling for assurance that the company has policies in place to stop scammers.
“I won’t hesitate to take action against those who use this crisis as a get-rich-quick scheme,” James tweeted on Friday. She referenced overcharging for hand sanitizer and users attempting to sell test kits or fake items that claim to provide immunity to the virus.
Craigslist didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Craiglist isn’t the only online marketplace dealing with price gouging or listings that make false health claims amid the coronavirus pandemic.of face masks and hand sanitizer to combat price gouging, and the e-commerce company is removing listings that mention coronavirus and COVID-19. Earlier this month, Amazon removed and thousands of listings that were price gouging.
The coronavirus has rapidly spread around the world, leading companies to encourage or require employees to work from home. If you want more information on what the coronavirus is, what the symptoms are and how you can protect yourself, head over to CNET’s FAQ.
See the emptiness as coronavirus pandemic closes stadiums, landmarks, schools
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com