The cancellations or suspensions of major sporting events around the globe. In US sports, this week alone has seen the , a postponement of the start of Major League Baseball and the cancellation of winter and spring NCAA championships college basketball tournaments.pandemic has led to the
Not everything has been canceled, however. Here’s a list of major US and international events that’re still on, and things that, at least for now, are set to return at some point.
Still on, with or without fans in attendance
The NFL draft: Though NFL teams have begun canceling workouts with prospects, the league’s draft currently remains on schedule for April 23. But the league won’t be holding public events in Las Vegas.
Suspended for now
A number of events and league seasons have been suspended but may resume in the future.
NBA: The National Basketball Association’s season has been suspended indefinitely. It’s unclear when it might start back up, but Commissioner Adam Silver told TNT earlier this month that the NBA hold would last at least 30 days.
NHL: The National Hockey League paused its season on March 12, with no timeline for when it might resume.
MLS: Major League Soccer tweeted out a statement on March 12 that it would be suspending match play for 30 days “effective immediately, as the league continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.”
MLB: Major League Baseball was set to have its season’s Opening Day on March 26, but it announced it would delay games for “at least two weeks,” and it canceled the remaining spring training games that’d been scheduled to take place in Florida and Arizona. MLB has since decided to extend that timeframe, noting the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines on limiting group gatherings.
The Masters: Originally scheduled for April 9-12, professional golf’s premier event was postponed on March 13. Masters Chairman Fred Ridley said in a statement to the Associated Press that he hopes to hold the Masters “at some later date.” The same day, the PGA Tour said it would be suspending its season.
The 2020 Olympics: After rumors and calls for a delay, on March 24.
See the emptiness as coronavirus pandemic closes stadiums, landmarks, schools
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- Quibi: Prices, shows, launch details and WTF is a quibi actually
- Miss your favorite coffee from the outside? Try Atlas Coffee Club and get your first bag free
- Mini ozone hole opens over Arctic and, yes, that’s kinda weird
- Cash-for-Clunkers-like program could be on the horizon, Ford says
- All the livestreams and virtual concerts to watch during the coronavirus shutdown (April 6)
- Every car dealer providing home delivery during coronavirus shutdown
- Airport fire leaves thousands of rental cars destroyed
- Enter for your chance to win one of 10 NordVPN subscriptions*
- The best cheap Windows laptops and Chromebooks you can get now under $500