Thecontinues to wreak havoc. As people are ordered to stay at home and avoid contact with others, a cascade of cancellations and postponements has wiped major events off the calendar.
Disneyland and Disney World are closed. Movies from James Bond to Black Widow have been postponed. Big events such as SXSW, the, the and have all been called off. , the Cannes film fest and the have been hit. The , as have many more sports leagues. Formula One and Wimbledon are off too.
The latest major events to be affected: Munich’s Oktoberfest, originally scheduled for Sept. 19 to Oct. 4, and the canceled all shows and attractions through June 30, and the Kennedy Center postponed performances through Aug. 9., slated for Aug. 16. Meanwhile, organizers of the IFA conference in Berlin said in 2020, “but with an innovative new concept.” MGM Resorts has also reportedly
Here’s how the outbreak is impacting our lives with postponements, cancellations and closures.
- Tour de France The cycling race won’t start on June 27 as scheduled. Organizers said they’re trying to figure out new dates for the event.
- UFC 249 UFC president Dana White said on April 9 that the event, slated for April 18, was canceled.
- British Open On April 6, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club announced that the 149th British Open championship will be delayed until 2021.
- Wimbledon On April 1, the 2020 tennis championship was moved to 2021, when it will run from June 28 to July 11.
- Tokyo Olympics On March 24, the International Olympic Committee and Japan’s prime minister said the games will now be held from July 23 to Aug. 8, 2021, with the Paralympic Games running from Aug. 24 to Sept. 5, 2021. . On March 30, the IOC said the
- NBA On March 11, the coronavirus. after Utah Jazz player Rudy Gobert reportedly tested positive for the
- Formula One The , the first race of the 2020 Formula One season, was canceled after a McLaren team member tested positive for the virus. Upcoming races in Bahrain and Vietnam have been postponed.
- English Premier League English football authorities have UEFA postponed its European Championship national tournament to next year. This may allow leagues including the EPL to finish their seasons over the summer. until at least April 3 after a player and coach on different teams tested positive for the virus. On March 17, European soccer’s governing body
- Major League Soccer The on March 12 as it “continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.”
- NCAA Several major Division I conferences in the NCAA, including the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and American Athletic Conference, said on March 12 that they would cancel their respective conference tournaments this week. The .
- NHL On March 12, the .
- MLB Major League Baseball spring training games were suspended, and health fears initially by at least two weeks. On March 16, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shared updated recommendations restricting events with more than 50 people for the next eight weeks, the MLB said it would follow those guidelines and further delay the opening of the regular season.
- The Masters Tournament The Augusta National Golf Club postponed the 2020 Masters Tournament on March 13, citing “the health and well-being of everyone associated with these events and the citizens of the Augusta community.” The club didn’t provide a new date for the tournament.
- Kentucky Derby The Kentucky Derby Festival postponed all events through April 4, with the Kentucky Derby race reportedly postponed until Sept. 5.
- Boston Marathon Originally set to take place on April 20, the Boston Marathon will now run Sept. 14, according to the Boston Athletic Association.
- EA esports Video game publisher EA said it’s suspending all live events for its competitive gaming series, which includes the Apex Legends Global Series, EA Sports FIFA 20 Global Series, FIFA Online 4 Live Events and Madden NFL 20 Championship Series. The suspension began March 13 and will continue “until the global coronavirus situation improves.” Online events in which participants and staff are isolated will continue, EA said.
- Indianapolis 500 The event has been rescheduled for July 4. . Meanwhile, the GMR Grand Prix was
- Fortnite World Cup All Fortnite competitions will be held online for the rest of 2020, and this year’s world cup is canceled due to the limitations of cross region online competition.
- Wisconsin primary On April 6, Gov. Tony Evers signed an executive order suspending in-person voting for the April 7 election, moving it to June. The state Supreme Court blocked the bid. The US Supreme Court also reversed a lower court order giving voters more time to return mail-in ballots.
- Democratic National Convention On April 2, the Democratic National Convention was pushed back from mid-July to the week of Aug. 17. It’s still set to take place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Rallies Democratic presidential candidates Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders canceled rallies leading up to primary elections in several states.
- Maryland primary On March 17, Maryland postponed its presidential and congressional primary until June 2. It was originally scheduled for April 28.
- Ohio primary On March 16, Ohio’s governor ordered polling places closed, just a day ahead of the state’s presidential primary. The Ohio primary is now expected to take place June 2.
- Louisiana primary On March 13, Louisiana postponed its presidential primary, originally scheduled for April 4, to June 20. On April 14, Gov. John Bel Edwards once again pushed back the election to July 11.
Cultural happenings and institutions
- The Kennedy Center All scheduled ticketed performances through Aug. 9 have been postponed. That includes a 14-week run of Hamilton.
- MGM Resorts All shows and attractions at the Vegas resorts have reportedly been canceled through June 30.
- Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance The event, part of the annual Monterey Car Week festivities in California, was .
- Oktoberfest Munich canceled its Oktoberfest event, scheduled for Sept. 19 to Oct. 4.
- Elton John The singer postponed the rest of his upcoming North American tour dates.
- Gathering of the Juggalos The Insane Clown Posse said the annual music festival, slated for Aug. 5 to 8, was canceled.
- Scripps National Spelling Bee The 2020 national finals were canceled for the first time since World War II.
- Pride parades Cities including New York and San Francisco won’t be hosting pride parades this summer.
- Anime Expo The event, scheduled for July 2-5 in Los Angeles, was canceled.
- San Diego Comic-Con The pop culture convention scheduled for July 23-26 was .
- Taylor Swift The artist canceled all live performances and appearances this year, and rescheduled the US and Brazil shows of her Lover Fest tour to next year.
- Shakespeare in the Park New York’s Public Theater canceled this year’s free summer season.
- Burning Man The annual countercultural festival won’t happen this year in its usual locale, Nevada’s Black Rock Desert. Instead it’ll be an online event, at Virtual Black Rock City 2020.
- Peloton April live classes On April 6, Peloton said it was halting production at its New York and London studios through April 30. On April 21, the company said it would resume live streaming from instructors’ homes beginning April 22.
- Movie blockbusters A number of , including Black Widow, A Quiet Place 2, Mulan and the next James Bond installment, No Time to Die.
- Coachella The has been pushed to October.
- Glastonbury The UK’s legendary Glastonbury music festival, this year intended to feature Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar and Diana Ross, will no longer take place on June 24.
- Met Ball On March 16, Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour said this year’s Met Gala, slated to take place in May, has been postponed.
- Tony Awards Postponed from June 7 to an undetermined date.
- Peabody Awards The ceremony, previously scheduled for June 18, has been postponed.
- 47th annual Daytime Emmy Awards will not take place in June as scheduled, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement on March 19.
- Ultra Music Festival This Miami festival has been postponed until next year.