Nio, a newcomer to the electric car market, has found a lifeline in the form of a new $1 billion investment from various Chinese investment funds. The crucial funds secure Nio’s financial future and will ensure new vehicles continue to be developed.
Reuters reported on the investment following a Nio press conference on Wednesday. The company said the investment doesn’t impact any current partnerships with other companies, nor its listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Last year, Nio announced its, and shortly after that, it . Meanwhile, Nio’s been pushing its two production cars as it looks to find a footing. Early hype saw it labeled the Chinese Tesla and the company had big expectations to fill. The launched first with -rivaling specs, though slow sales followed. The more affordable ES6 electric SUV made up a larger portion of its deliveries towards the end of 2019. Nio sold just under 4,000 cars so far this year through March, and the company said it’s starting to see a recovery.
China’s slowing auto market was partially to blame for Nio’s rocky start, and this year, thepandemic put a halt to any presumed gains in the country. Nio said any negative impact on the company due to COVID-19 has since passed, however, and its suppliers are in good shape going forward. Nio sold just under 4,000 cars so far this year through March, and the company said it’s starting to see a recovery.
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz will be a true compact pickup
- We spy the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz compact pickup truck
- More than 40% of Republicans think Bill Gates will use COVID-19 vaccine to implant tracking chips, survey says
- Google Doodle goes dark to mark Memorial Day in US
- Rock on: Get a Marshall Woburn II Bluetooth speaker for $400
- Extremely rare ‘ring of fire’ galaxy discovered in the early universe
- Today’s best Memorial Day 2020 deals: Laptops, home exercise gear, mattresses, vacuums, and more
- Rick and Morty recap: In Childrick of Mort, big daddy Rick fights a god
- 8 best iPhone 12 rumors: Release date, 5G, price and other leaks we know