Outdoor homerely on the same tech as their indoor counterparts, but make everything work despite shifting temperatures, rain, wind and snow. We’ve tested a lot of weatherproof cameras and they come in a lot of different styles.
For the purposes of this post, we’re defining outdoor security cameras as any weatherproof livestreaming cam, from traditional cameras to— and even .
The $500 Arlo Pro 3 (two-camera pack, plus hub) is an excellent camera. It has 2,560×2,560-pixel streaming, color night vision, 12x zoom, a built-in siren and a built-in spotlight. Out of the box, you get motion and sound alerts and access to the live feed.
Otherwise you do need to pay an optional monthly fee, starting at $3 a month for the Arlo Smart subscription service. Arlo Smart adds a bunch of additional features, including detection zones and advanced notifications (people, animal, vehicle and package). The $10 price tier adds in E911, a feature that lets you contact local law enforcement from the Arlo app, no matter where you are.
The Arlo Pro 3 isn’t cheap, but it’s an excellent home security camera if you have the money to spend.
The $150 Arlo Video Doorbell performs well, has a long list of features and competitive cloud storage fees, starting at $3 per month. The optional cloud storage subscription gives you access to advanced person, animal, vehicle and package alerts.
This smart buzzer is easy to install, too, and features two-way audio, motion detection zones, arm/disarm modes and a built-in siren.
We’ve tested too many outdoor security cameras to list here, so be sure to check out my gallery below for an overview of all the models. It’s worth noting that whatever Wi-Fi security camera you end up buying will only be as good as your home’s network connection. If the connection is spotty, you might see pixelation in the feed, lag times and other related issues, sobefore you start drilling holes in your walls.
Editors’ note, Dec. 19: Over 3,000 Ring customers have recently had their personal account information exposed,. We are removing all Ring products from recommendation.
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com