Amazon has picked up an eight-episode scripted series starring Nicolas Cage as Joe Exotic, the Oklahoma big-cat park owner whose story captivated a coronavirus-stricken nation in. It will be the first television role of Cage’s five-decade acting career.
Cage’s rep confirmed his role back in May but declined to go into detail about the show. The Hollywood Reporter reported the news of the Amazon pickup on Thursday. Amazon didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
The series is based on the Texas Monthly magazine article Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild, by Leif Reigstad, and comes from Imagine Entertainment and CBS TV Studios. (Disclosure: ViacomCBS is CNET’s parent company.) Amazon Prime Video will develop the series, THR reports, with Amazon Studios producing.
Cage, 56, won the best actor Academy Award for 1995’s Leaving Las Vegas. His other films include Adaptation, Moonstruck, Raising Arizona, Face/Off and the Ghost Rider and National Treasure films. His quirky persona and looks, as well as his, make him an apparent natural to play Joe Exotic, who’s now serving a . Cage’s name often came up in dream casting articles for a scripted Joe Exotic story — .
The idea of Cage playing the troubled zoo owner captured fans’ imaginations almost from the start. Late-night host Jimmy Fallon even donned a mullet and flashy shirt to m— and it’s pretty perfect.
Dan Lagana, whose quirky Netflix mockumentary American Vandal was a Netflix hit in 2017, will serve as showrunner.
After the March debut of Netflix’s docuseries, Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness, the life and times of Joe Exotic turned into a. Netflix added an , producer Rick Kirkham offered a , the Investigation Discovery network is planning a series, and there’s even another miniseries.
NBC Universal has optioned a popular podcast about Joe Exotic and has cast Saturday Night Live comedian Eye of the Tiger.as Joe’s nemesis, animal activist Carole Baskin. And Baskin has now been cast on the new season of ABC’s Dancing With the Stars, where her first song will be — duh — Survivor’s 1982 hit,
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing