Abbot Augustine has led this community for four years. Many of the monks here are in their 70s and 80s. Four are over 90, making them more at risk of dying from COVID-19.
This religious community does live a mostly cloistered life behind these abbey walls. But it may surprise you just how public the Monastery of the Holy Spirit is. Every year, some 80,000 visitors of all faiths come for multiday retreats to sing and pray right alongside the monks, to picnic, or just stroll the more than 2,000 acres of beautiful rural landscape.
Brother Callistus is the monastery cellarer, its chief operating officer. Overnight, he shuttered the monastery food bank, gift shop, church, and retreat house.
Website of source
- Finding my online voice – Science
- 6 tips to help you detect fake science news – The Washington Post
- Quest to land humans on Mars heats up and 5 other top space and science stories this week – CNN
- A new book explores how military funding shaped the science of oceanography – Science News Magazine
- A new guide for communicating plant science – EurekAlert
- Can science help people make decisions? – National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Dublin school opens much-anticipated new science, engineering building – The Mercury News
- Wearable sensors that detect gas leaks – EurekAlert
- New York state ends stem cell research funding – Science Magazine