Withings Body Cardio
Withings (which was previously bought by Nokia, then sold back to the Withings founder) was one of the first manufacturers of smart scales, and the Body Cardio offers a wide range of health measurements. It also offers two light versions, the Body and the Body+.
Make sure you are buying the right Withings scales when looking at the best online prices: the range goes from the basic Body scales up to the most sophisticated Body Cardio scales.
The scales sync well with the Withings range of activity trackers, such as the inexpensive Go and the waterproof Steel, which looks like a normal analogue watch but measures basic activity data. See our round up of the best waterproof activity fitness trackers.
Unlike other scales the Withings scales display your previous day’s step count and a trend graph right there on the scale display. When the Body Cardio scale is connected over Wi-Fi it even provides a daily local weather forecast – handy for runners and outside exercisers. If you don’t use a Withings activity tracker you can still sync your phone’s step counter to the Withings Health Mate app.
The Body Cardio originally monitored something none of the other smart scales could – Pulse Wave Velocity (PWV), a measurement that is a key indicator of cardiac health. Unfortunately, blaming regulatory issues, in January 2018 Nokia used a software patch to withdraw all support for PWV from the Body Cardio, removing one of its key appeals – and the biggest reason to opt for the Cardio over one of the cheaper Nokia Body scales.
Body Cardio connects via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to the free Withings Health Mate app (iOS and Android) and automatically syncs data after every use of the scale. Graphs help users visualize trends over time and note how their weight impacts overall health. After a few weeks, users should be able to see how their lifestyle impacts their PWV.
The app’s home screen is clear and concise, showing you your health stats in one easy glance, including steps either from your Nokia activity tracker or from your phone’s step counter.
Users can set goals, earn rewards over time and celebrate health milestones. Health Mate also offers integration with 150 partner apps to provide nutrition tracking, GPS run tracking and more to make it an integrated health aid. All Body Cardio data stored in the Health Mate app integrates with the Apple Health app.
Our one complaint about the Withings scales is the graphs on the app. When you go into more detail some of the graphs turn into quite confusing squiggles, where a simple trend line would have sufficed.
Body Cardio features a rechargeable battery rather than running on four AA batteries like the other scales tested here. Withings claims that this should last a year.
Withings Body Cardio: Specs
- Weight, BMI, body composition (fat, muscle, water & bone mass), standing heart rate and Pulse Wave Velocity (PWV)
- [LLODO] Body of US Capitol Officer William Evans returns to Massachusetts hometown
- [LLODO] Louisville officer shot in Breonna Taylor raid is reprimanded by police chief for email
- [LLODO] San Francisco parent slams California schools’ lag in reopening: ‘Zoom in a room’s a joke’
- [LLODO] Derek Chauvin invokes 5th Amendment in court, tells judge he will not testify in his own defense
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Derek Chauvin trial ends after both sides rest their case, closing arguments expected Monday
- [LLODO] Murders soared as police ‘pulled back’ amid 2020 protests in major cities, report finds
- [LLODO] Georgia police release video of suspect opening fire on officers during chase
- [LLODO] Louisiana Coast Guard search: Crews yet to locate 12 missing after vessel capsizes as families hold out hope