Researchers at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg are using a nanostructure to combat infections from implantable devices by making their surface inhospitable for microbes to grow on, the Roanoke Times reports.
The nanostructure, which has tiny ridges, is 1,000 times smaller than the width of a hair and makes it challenging for infection-causing microbes to latch on, reproduce and spread. The minuscule structure is engineered on catheters and other urinary tract stents, which provide a host to most infectious microbes that come from medical devices.
The researchers tested how hundreds of different structures would perform at repelling microbes using computer simulations before they were tested in the lab.
After testing a handful of the structures in a lab to verify the simulation’s accuracy, the researchers found the highest performing structure would likely be effective at repelling microbes, researcher Bahareh Behkam, PhD, a Virginia Tech mechanical engineering professor, told the Times.
The structure may one day be the leading way to stave off infections from catheters, but it is likely 10 years from full commercialization, Dr. Behkam said.
More articles on clinical leadership and infection control:
How Sentara hospitals used copper to drop infection rates
Adverse events more common in racial, ethnic minorities
Infectious Diseases Society of America updates flu guidelines: 4 things to know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2018. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- [LLODO] Andrew Cuomo allegations ‘abhorrent and heartbreaking,’ require independent probe, NY state Democrat says
- [LLODO] Reporter’s Notebook: Chicago pastor turns gangsters’ lives around with stunning compassion
- [LLODO] Several arrested in NYC during Daniel Prude protest
- [LLODO] Western US being hit with rain, mountain snow
- [LLODO] Salmonella outbreak in Pennsylvania linked to this: officials
- [LLODO] Psaki responds to Cuomo harassment claim: ‘Any allegation should be reviewed’
- [LLODO] De Blasio reacts to Cuomo harassment allegations, calls for independent investigation
- [LLODO] Flashback: Cuomo in 2018 said ‘we believe’ Christine Blasey Ford, sexual assault survivors