Facing a top ten offense here in the Frisco Bowl, Louisiana Tech head coach Skip Holtz issued a challenge ahead of the game to his defense. It’s one they answered with six turnovers and it all started on the first play of the game.
“I think the defense got mad at me because I told them, we can’t just rely on the defense to stop SMU,” head coach Skip Holtz explained. “They are a top ten, high scoring offense and we can’t put it all on them. They all kind of sat back in the team meeting room like, what do you mean you can’t put it all on us?”
Cornerback Amik Robertson said, “At the end of the day I knew coming into this game that they had all those big names like Sutton and Trey Quinn. I knew, not only the defense we had, but we had a point to prove. I knew at the end of the way we were going to come out with the victory if everybody just do their jobs.”
Quarterback J’Mar Smith added, “It feels great. Defense put us in great situations. They scored the ball when they caught interceptions. It gives our offense a boost of confidence. We’re already in the red zone, so all we’ve gotta do is just put points on the board.”
Robertson went on to say, “This was a statement game. Looking at ESPN, it kind of lit the fuel to us. We weren’t really mentioned that much. All we heard was SMU and their power offense. This game was maybe a statement game. It boosted our confidence up for next year.”
This is, of course, the fourth straight bowl win for the Bulldogs and after the last two we talked more about what they are going to lose to the NFL other than what they have coming back next season. That’s not necessarily the case this year. The offense MVP of the Frisco Bowl was J’Mar Smith. On the defensive side it was Amik Robertson. One is a sophomore, the other is a freshman. It’s safe to say the future is bright for Louisiana Tech.
- [LLODO] California can’t ban offensive license plates, judge rules
- [LLODO] ‘Thanksgiving Grandma’ celebrates 5th holiday with honorary ‘grandson’ — but without late husband
- [LLODO] 15 relatives contract coronavirus after birthday celebration: ‘Don’t be like my family’
- [LLODO] 99th birthday party spurs dozen coronavirus infections among relatives
- [LLODO] Seven years astray: Missing dog reunited with owner thanks to microchip
- [LLODO] Wisconsin Republicans file emergency petition to delay vote certification
- [LLODO] Detroit Lions legend threatens Michigan brewery with legal action over new brew
- [LLODO] Ohio man tips $3K for beer before the restaurant closes over rising coronavirus cases
- [LLODO] John James concedes in Michigan Senate race, congratulates Sen. Gary Peters on reelection