Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec announced the launch of an external administrative review of policies and procedures within Tech’s police department following the death of Officer Floyd East Jr. in a shooting Monday evening.
Schovanec’s announcement came through a news release Thursday morning just ahead of a Lubbock Police Department news conference to release new details about the shooting.
“In light of the tragic loss of life that we have experienced, it is appropriate that we conduct a post-event review process that will include a thorough review of our policies and practices to enhance the safety and security of our students, our police and the entire campus community,” Schovanec said in the release. “The members of the Texas Tech Police Department provide exemplary service to our university in a professional manner. This review in no way diminishes the great appreciation we have for the excellent job they do.”
He added: “Also, because the shooting death involves one of our officers, we have asked the Lubbock Police Department to serve as an independent law enforcement agency to perform the criminal investigation.”
Tech student Hollis Daniels III, 19, has been charged with capital murder in connection with East’s death. He was arrested Monday evening after, Tech police say, he shot East at the Tech police department as the officer was processing him after a drug-related arrest.
- [LLODO] Kentucky residents under state of emergency amid extreme flooding will see more rain
- [LLODO] Iowa restaurant’s pizza with Fruit Loops sparks debate on Twitter
- [LLODO] Whitney Young Jr.: An unsung hero of the civil rights movement
- [LLODO] Political cartoon of the day: Mr Potato Head goes gender-neutral
- [LLODO] Texas mail carrier sends get-well package to single mother battling COVID-19
- [LLODO] 8-year-old Wisconsin girl creates charity to help homeless children
- [LLODO] Teens sue exclusive Catholic high school for $20M over ‘blackface’ allegations
- [LLODO] California hospital working with Mexican consulate after 15 killed in SUV crash
- [LLODO] Portland sports bar owner forced to shut down after business vandalized blasts city response to riots