Buzz.ie road-tested the Motorola Moto G6 budget priced handset
I’ve seen the Motorola Moto G6 regularly dubbed the best budget smartphone you can buy in 2018.
It’s a sensibly priced handset with a stylish glass and aluminium design and it’s got what I consider a fantastic camera for a phone this price.
It does not compete with the likes of the Note 9 camera or the all-conquering P20 Pro but you wouldn’t expect it to.
However, it is not that far behind even though it costs but a fraction of those flagships.
Images you capture will impress you with their level of detail and colour, even in lowlight.
The dual rear camera set-up has 12MP and 5MP lenses. The latter is used for depth sensing for Portrait mode.
The selfie camera produces decent results too. And you can shoot slow-mo video at 60frames per second that looks impressive. Although in general the full HD video captures are nothing to get too excited about.
The G6 has a full HD 5.7in display with an on-trend widescreen aspect ratio that makes it great for watching movies on.
There’s a front-facing fingerprint sensor which I like, enough power for everyday tasks and decent audio for a smartphone.
It runs an almost pure version of Android 8 too.
You will get a day out of the battery (unless you are streaming lots of video), and the phone has got fast charging.
On top of all this, it has a premium-looking 3D glass back design with rounded edges.
The only snag with my review model was the 32GB of onboard storage but you can expand this with a micro SD card.
The Motorola Moto G6 is a great example of how much great tech you can now get inside a phone that in Ireland should sell for about €200.
Its closest rival is the Huawei P20 Lite, which costs €279 but gives you twice the storage, superior cameras, a slightly bigger screen and more RAM.
Motorola will apparently be on sale in Ireland soon from Three. You can buy a 64GB storage model for €230 sim-free from Amazon.
So what are the key specs of Motorola Moto G6?
- Weight: 167gms
- Dimensions: 153.8mm x 72.3mm x 8.3mm
- OS: Android 8.0
- Screen size: 5.7in
- Resolution: 1080 x 2160
- CPU: Snapdragon 450
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 32GB
- Battery: 3000mAh
- Charging: USB-C
- Dual rear camera 12MP f/1.8 and 5MP f/2.2
- 8MP selfie camera
- [LLODO] Capitol Police ‘understaffed, insufficiently equipped’ to handle violent mob: Lt. Gen. Honoré review
- [LLODO] Supreme Court rejects case over ‘qualified immunity’ for police
- [LLODO] Charges permanently dropped against Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend for shooting officer the night she was killed
- [LLODO] ‘Scary to watch’: Minneapolis business owners on edge over possible repeat of riots
- [LLODO] Ohio school district to require double-masking based on CDC guidance
- [LLODO] Ethics Watchdogs hit Democratic Rep. Malinowski for undisclosed stock trades
- [LLODO] New York Times editorial board silent on Cuomo allegations after fixating on Kavanaugh claims
- [LLODO] Publisher reportedly halts promotion of Andrew Cuomo’s COVID book, ‘no plans’ for paperback edition