Buzz.ie tested out the Ezviz Mini Plus, an affordable indoor security camera
If you are looking for an affordable full HD smart home camera, then you might consider the Ezviz Mini Plus from Hikvision.
One neat feature is you can record the mp4 footage to a micro-SD card. You cannot do this on the likes of the Nest Cam or Hive View.
However, from a security point of view, if a thief stole your camera the footage would be rendered useless.
That’s why recording your footage from cameras such as this to the cloud makes so much sense.
Should someone break into your home and get caught on camera, there is nothing they can do about that footage if it is stored online.
The cost of Ezviz Mini Plus cloud coverage begins at £4.99 per month for seven-day rolling footage. This should be enough for general use. But if you are going away on a long holiday you can easily switch to a 30-day option.
It’s a really small cube shape camera, 50mm x 91mm x 25mm including its stand.
It can be placed on any shelf or flat surface, or magnetically attached to any steel surface.
You can also mount it with the included steel plate, wall plugs and screws.
Setting it up is easy, using the Ezviz app that is free for Android and iOS. You can connect the Ezviz Mini Plus to either your 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz WiFi channel.
The app is easy to get to grips with. It has a range of controls such as starting two-way audio, taking a snapshot and recording video on demand. There a number of view and sensitivity options too.
The Mini Plus only records when there is motion. You can also manually record footage in the app and save it to your phone.
It has an impressive 135-degree-field-of-view lens so it can cover an entire room from the corner. And it has night vision for up to 25ft away.
The camera has a two-way audio feature and sends you alerts and a snapshot if there is any motion or audio detected.
To view any captures, tap on Video History at the bottom of the app and you will see a timeline of recently recorded clips.
The time and date stamp is always visible because the camera cleverly works out whether the characters should be black or white based on whether the footage is shot in darkness or in light.
The app will also send you notifications if any motion is detected.
I found Ezviz Mini Plus reliable during testing and the quality of the footage is much better than you might expect for a machine so small.
Ezviz Mini Plus from Hikvision is available from Amazon for £79.99 in white and £98.99 in black.
- [LLODO] Texas funeral became coronavirus superspreader event after 42 were sickened, family claims
- [LLODO] Small Business Saturday more critical this holiday season amid coronavirus pandemic
- [LLODO] Nevada random shooting spree leaves 1 dead, 4 hurt; suspects arrested in Arizona, police say
- [LLODO] Rep.-elect Burgess Owens, retired NFLer, touts GOP’s ‘Freedom Force’ to oppose AOC’s ‘Squad’
- [LLODO] Texas police find woman’s body in trunk after car chase ends in crash
- [LLODO] Governors in NJ, Arkansas view lockdowns as last resort amid coronavirus surge
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Trump insists Wisconsin, Pennsylvania election fights far from over
- [LLODO] Biden still ahead as Wisconsin completes recount; certification deadline looms
- [LLODO] Minnesota officer, 2 others shot, suspect arrested after hours-long standoff