This week on New Mexico in Focus, producer Matt Grubs sits down with Rep. Alonzo Baldonado and Sen. Mimi Stewart to discuss the aftermath of Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s recent dismissal of Public Education Secretary Karen Trujillo. Lawmakers from both parties have asked for a deeper explanation for her firing. Both Stewart and Baldonado sit on the Legislative Education Study Committee and give an assessment of the state of education.
NMiF also airs a portion of KRWG-TV Director of Content Fred Martino’s interview with ousted secretary Karen Trujillo. The two talk about Trujillo’s vision for education reform and the timeline in which she hoped – and now the Lujan Grisham administration hopes – to achieve significant change in New Mexico’s public schools.
Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists discuss recent standardized test results showing less than a third of New Mexico public school students are proficient in reading and about one-fifth show math proficiency. The group also debates the best way to handle the ongoing migrant crisis at the border and examines a retelling of the history connected to the 50th Española Valley Fiesta.
New Mexico PBS’ one-hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1, and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
- Matt Grubs & Fred Martino
- Rep. Alonzo Baldonado (R), New Mexico House of Representatives
- Sen. Mimi Stewart (D), New Mexico Senate
- Michael Bird, public health consultant
- Dan Foley, former state representative
- Christine Sierra, UNM political science professor emerita
- Harry Van Buren, UNM Anderson School of Management
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest.
NMiF takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic health, education, and arts issues, and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the “news of the moment.”
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Matt Grubs, with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. The NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided by the McCune Charitable Foundation and viewers like you.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing