Din Tai Fung Din Tai Fung arrived in London at the end of last year, amid levels of hype seldom seen even in this most hyperbolic of industries. To be honest, the hype put us off a little.
Their origin story – cooking-oil retailer in Taipei falls on hard times, wife starts selling dumplings out of a hole in the wall as a sideline, global superbrandhood and Michelin stardom, subsequently recalibrated to Bib Gourmand-dom after rigid cost parameters were introduced, ensues – may have been unimpeachably cute, but there was something a little too well-oiled about the machinery (their website is more expensive-looking than a James Cameron movie).
Then some friends went, and returned, saucer-eyed…
- [LLODO] 4 suspected MS-13 gang members stopped after NYC police see them lugging blanket-wrapped body to car: sources
- [LLODO] NYC GOP mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa pledges to ‘refund the police’
- [LLODO] AOC-linked group backs ‘Defund the Police’ advocate in NY primary
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Derek Chauvin murder trial continues Wednesday
- [LLODO] Capitol riot: IG to testify before Congress over blistering watchdog report on Jan. 6 security failures
- [LLODO] Maryland police report being shot at after responding to call, manhunt underway
- [LLODO] Bernie Madoff death caps unbelievably tragic ‘mixed story’: Gasparino
- [LLODO] Louisiana Coast Guard search: 1 found dead, 12 remain missing after vessel capsizes, officials say