The Fast and the Furious franchise continues this week with Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham and Idris Elba in the spinoff Hobbs & Shaw. As Hobbs (Johnson) and Shaw (Statham) hear of a bio-threat to humanity, they must work together against Brixton (Idris Elba) to save the world.
The documentary Jay Myself shows the influential photographer Jay Maisel packing up his six-story studio and home in Manhattan that he has lived in for 48 years. The film begins five months before the photographer must leave, showing the process of packing up 72 rooms.
Luce is a psychological thriller of a picture-perfect student and son writing an aggressively violent essay, which a teacher, played by Octavia Spencer, flags and tells his two worried parents (Naomi Watts and Tim Roth) of his abnormal behavior.
Fans of The Babadook can welcome the return of director Jennifer Kent with The Nightingale. The film follows an Irish convict as she seeks revenge on a British soldier who committed extreme acts of violence on her family.
Based on a book, Piranhas shows a group of naive teens who enter the organized crime in Naples. The film addresses the loss of innocence for the group as they continue into the power-hungry city controlled by the mob.
Tel Aviv on Fire is a film discussing the relationship between Palestine and Israel from the set of a popular Palestinian soap opera. With humor and irony, the film captures dynamics between Jews and Arabs from the set and a checkpoint.
Them That Follow focuses on a strict religious community in the woods, where the daughter of the reverend holds a secret that, if revealed, could lead to deadly traditions from her father.
With a range of films coming out Friday, here’s what The Hollywood Reporter critics thought of this weekend’s releases.
- Hamilton on Disney Plus is bringing musical theater to a whole new audience
- UFC 251 Usman vs. Masvidal: Start time, how to watch or stream online and full fight card
- UK reportedly looking to begin phasing out 5G Huawei gear this year
- All the best July 4th sales still happening right now
- Weekend deals: $22 drones, $6 fairy lights and a $30 AirPods Pro alternative
- Last chance to get excellent TCL 8-Series TV at lowest price ever
- The best deals from Best Buy’s July 4th sale you can still get today
- You can preorder Cyberpunk 2077 for $50 right now
- Get muscle relief with this TaoTronics massage gun for $95