LUBBOCK, Texas — Police apprehended a 19-year-old student accused of fatally shooting a Texas Tech University police officer at the campus police station Monday night.
University officials issued an alert saying the suspect was taken into custody and that the campus lockdown order had been lifted.
In an earlier statement, the university identified the suspect as Hollis Daniels.
According to a university statement, campus police made a student welfare check Monday evening and — upon entering the room — found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Officers then brought the suspect to the police station for standard debriefing.
ALL-CLEAR: The suspect has been apprehended. Lockdown lifted on campus. Avoid TTUPD, north side of campus. https://t.co/jOFvYnGgL6.
— Texas Tech (@TexasTech) October 10, 2017
“During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and mortally shot an officer,” Texas Tech Police Chief Kyle Bonath said. “The suspect fled on foot and later apprehended by … (campus police) near the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.”
Texas Tech officials initially issued a lockdown alert to students on social media, urging those on campus “to take shelter in a safe location.”
“The family of the officer is in the thoughts and prayers of the Texas Tech community,” said Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec. “I want to express my deep appreciation to the Texas Tech Police Department, Lubbock Police Department, Lubbock Sherriff’s Office, and other state and federal law enforcement officials for their response.”
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott also issued a statement about the shooting late Monday, saying “hearts go out to the family of the police officer killed.” Abbott also said he had mobilized state law enforcement resources to aid in the investigation.
- [LLODO] Lawyer for ‘QAnon Shaman’ argues for his client’s release, compares him to Forrest Gump
- [LLODO] NYC judge overturns convictions for 3 men in 1996 murder of off-duty cop, business owner
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan calls for investigation into Baltimore HS failing students, others call for shutdown
- [LLODO] Air Force veteran, Persian Gulf War POW Dale Storr speaks out on 30th anniversary of release
- [LLODO] How much do Baltimore taxpayers spend per student?
- [LLODO] New York bill would create ‘comprehensive sexuality education’ for kindergarten students
- [LLODO] Cuomo’s inner circle: What to know about embattled NY governor’s senior administration
- [LLODO] New former Cuomo aides accused Dem of sexual misconduct, reportedly inviting one to ‘dimly lit hotel room’