WYCKOFF, NJ – Wyckoff police have created a safe place outside its headquarters for township residents to conduct online transactions.
As internet buying, trading and selling becomes more popular, Wyckoff has joined a growing number of police departments across the country who have designated spots for buyers and sellers to meet face-to-face.
Wyckoff’s newly-created “Safe Exchange Zone” is located by the department’s front entrance and is under video surveillance 24-hours a day, according to police.
The zone was set up “as a courtesy to and for the protection of Wyckoff Township residents involved in online transactions, such as Craig’s List or Online Yard Sale purchases,” the department said.
“It should be noted that personnel are not in the police station at all times, thus it is recommended that the zone be used during normal business hours, Monday-Friday. If this is not possible, the area is recorded and routinely patrolled,” the department said.
“While the ‘Safe Exchange Zone’ provides an area for buyers and sellers to meet, it is important to remember that people you meet online are strangers and can pose dangers. Not every buyer or seller you meet online is someone who is true with their intent,” the department added.
Police also reminded residents that exchange of any type of weapons, destructive devices, any illicit items, controlled dangerous substances, or controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia is not permitted.
Wyckoff police department is located at 340 Franklin Turnpike.
A list of other agencies that have designated safety zones can be found here. Within Bergen County, Closter, Hillsdale and Lyndhurst have created spots for meet-ups.
E-Commerce Safety Tips
- Complete all transactions during daylight hours, if possible
- Bring a cell phone in case of emergency
- Notify friends or family about the details of the exchange beforehand
- Never invite strangers to your home or agree to meet at a stranger’s home
- Reconsider any transaction with an individual who refuses to meet at a designated “Internet Purchase Exchange Zone”
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing