Valve surprised fans at The International 7 yesterday by revealing two new Dota 2 heroes: one acrobatic, pangolin-inspired* swordsman and a pink fairy. The reveal trailer shows the swordsman rolling between enemies and speaking in an accent that’s halfway between Puss in Boots and Zorro.
The fairy—who holds a lantern with a menacing, flying creature inside—seems to match the description of an upcoming hero uncovered in game files from an update from May, called Sylph.
The files suggested Sylph would have abilities called Flash Powder and Shadow Realm. Valve hasn’t confirmed the names or skills of the new heroes, but the fairy’s appearance in the video fits with those ability names (and a sylph is an air spirit, which ties it all together).
Both heroes will arrive in the Dueling Fates patch, although there’s no word on when that’s coming out yet. The duo will provide a welcome roster refresh: Valve hasn’t added any new heroes to the game since Monkey King in December last year.
Check them out in the video below:
*I initially wrote that the swordsman was armadillo-inspired, which is incorrect (and I clearly need to read up on my mammals!). Thanks to the eagle-eyed commenters that pointed the error out.
- In remote work world, some tech CEOs are leaving Bay Area – The Real Deal
- Aluma’s career-high 23 points propels Tech to victory over No. 3/3 Villanova – VT hokiesports.com
- For Big Tech, Biden brings a new era but no ease in scrutiny – Fox Business
- [LLODO] Texas man creates accidental Thanksgiving food drive on social media
- [LLODO] Ex-NFL star Chad Johnson spreads good tidings with huge tip for Florida restaurant worker
- [LLODO] Mysterious monolith ‘disappears’ from remote Utah desert
- [LLODO] California man confronts out-of-towner putting up swastika stickers; police investigate possible hate crime
- [LLODO] California community holds walk for 68-year-old woman stabbed to death on trail by unknown killer
- [LLODO] Utah men arrested after ‘discarded’ body found in desert, police say