People were immediately fascinated by the fish contraption, and they’ve quickly capitalized on the bizarre flying-fish machine.
“pack my body in the salmon cannon and shoot me into the sun. i want to be among the stars,” someone said, realizing the fish cannon’s ultimate potential.
Comedian John Oliver reminded everyone that he made his own version of the cannon on an episode of “Last Week Tonight” in 2014, when he “wooshhed” salmon onto Jon Stewart’s desk at “The Daily Show.”
It doesn’t hurt the fish, the CEO says
What does the man behind the fish-flinger have to think about his contraption’s viral fame? “It’s sort of been outrageous how long this has taken to catch on.”
Whooshh Innovations CEO Vince Bryant said the video, created by streaming news network Cheddar, was stitched together with footage dating to 2014, when its first cannon was sold.
The first system required workers to hand-feed fish into the tube to bypass the dam, but today’s version lets fish swim into it themselves, he said.
The salmon are propelled by the differential pressure between the front and the back of the fish and sent into the flexible tube that expands to their size. Once inside, the fish are misted with water to keep them breathing. And within a few seconds, they’ve splash-landed on the other side of a dam, he said, where they can safely reach their spawning grounds.
“There’s no stress for the fish,” he said. “It should be a comfortable ride for them.”
The company’s sold 20 of its salmon cannon systems — which are much cheaper than traditional fish ladders, Bryant says — to government agencies across the United States and Europe. The longest one it has built was more than 1,700 feet, more than a quarter of a mile, he said.
“People think it’s crazy,” he said. “This is the real deal, guys. This is not some internet video thing.”
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’