Mercedes-Benz finally showed off the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE Showcar at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt today. It’s a wild new hypercar that the company’s been teasing for a few weeks time.
It seems to have been well worth the wait. The Project ONE is everything you’d want from a ludicrous vehicle that sounds like a concept, but will actually be produced and sold. Of course, it has an equally ludicrous €2.275 million ($2.72 million) price tag to match.
It’s not just inspired by Mercedes’ Formula One team, it’s actually built around the 1.6-liter V6 hybrid that Lewis Hamilton is using to lead the 2017 F1 championship. It has more than 1,000 horsepower and a top speed of “beyond” 217 mph, which excites me even if it makes me wonder exactly what Mercedes means by that. The car also has an aerodynamic “shark fin” running down its spine that’s similar to the one being used on the current F1 car, though that’s a more curious choice since the series has banned that piece of tech for next season.
The interior takes cues from the F1 car, too, with the obvious focus being the racing-inspired wheel and seats. But you at least get a few creature comforts that aren’t otherwise found inside Mercedes’ Grand Prix competitor, like two big digital displays, air conditioning, and a dock for your smartphone in the center console.
Other motorsports cues are present here, too. The swoopy Project ONE Showcar has the exotic side profile of a Le Mans prototype racer, and from certain angles, even looks like some of McLaren’s recent track-ready supercars. I think that’s a good thing for Mercedes, which hasn’t experimented with the look of its performance cars in a while. And I’m sure I’m not the only one that is a bit jealous Hamilton got to hop into one already, even if it was probably against a green screen.
But, as if the price weren’t restrictive enough, Mercedes says it’s only going to build 275 of these surreal hypercars. That means the Project ONE Showcars will probably move quickly, and almost exclusively to the kinds of uber-rich enthusiasts who already own the few other hypercars it resembles.
- [LLODO] Alexis Sharkey’s mom convinced foul play to blame in daughter’s death
- [LLODO] Coronavirus surge in New Mexico leads hospital officials to warn they are running out of beds
- [LLODO] Texas waitress gets $2G tip but restaurant refuses to give her a cent
- [LLODO] Possible hate crime, terrorism charges in Thanksgiving shooting spree
- [LLODO] Austin Mayor tells community to stay home while in Cabo after flying there in private jet
- [LLODO] Grinch steals citrus-scented fir tree from Ohio landscaper
- [LLODO] Rashida Tlaib rips ‘fake a–‘ voter fraud claims from Michigan witnesses
- [LLODO] Kansas mayor charged with felony perjury: report
- [LLODO] Dr. Mark Goldfeder: House should censure anti-Semitic Rep. Rashida Tlaib