Telltale Games appears to be shutting down. According to GameDaily, the troubled Northern California game studio behind the acclaimed Walking Dead series is shuttering, and has enlisted the help of an outside company, Sherwood Partners, to assist in the closure of the company.
Co-founder Martin Pitchinson told GameDaily that Sherwood will be overseeing the liquidation of Telltale’s assets. Not only this, but an ex-employee told the site that the remaining health benefits mandated by law for affected eligible employees will come to an end on November 30.
This development is no big surprise. In September, the studio laid off the majority of its staff, reportedly paying no severance to affected developers. Only a small “skeleton crew” remained on staff, and now it appears the true end is in sight for Telltale.
All of this happened amid Telltale’s The Walking Dead: Final Season. For a period of time it was unclear if the series would be finished, and eventually The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman’s studio, Skybound, announced that it would step in to release Episodes 3 and 4.
Additionally, GameDaily reports that a number of Telltale’s games have been removed from Steam, which now makes more sense given that the company may be going under.
For more on the Telltale Games situation, check out GameSpot’s timeline of the key events.
This story has been updated to reflect that Telltale has not entered bankruptcy proceedings.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’