Charter Communication announced Friday morning it will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a subscription.
The news comes on the heels of the arrival of coronavirus in communities throughout the country, and concerns over transmission of the virus. Wisconsin has seen six confirmed cases as of Thursday afternoon.
Public and private school and universities are implementing changes and closures. Many have scheduled early spring breaks, extended breaks, and are looking into or have already scheduled online courses and video instruction to temporarily replace brick and mortar classrooms.
Charter will partner with school districts to ensure local communities are aware of these tools to help students learn remotely, the company said.
A service of up to 100 megabytes per second will be provided.
The offer begins Monday. Those interested in enrolling are asked to call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Charter will also open Wi-Fi hot spots across its footprint for public use.
“As the country works collaboratively to contain this pandemic, broadband internet access will be increasingly essential to ensuring that people across the country are able to learn and work remotely, that businesses can continue to serve customers, and that Americans stay connected and engaged with family and friends,” Charter’s press release stated.
For eligible, low-income households without school-aged children, Charter continues to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, a low-cost broadband program delivering speeds of 30 Mbps.
Spectrum internet service is available throughout Wisconsin, with the heaviest concentration in the Milwaukee area and southeastern Wisconsin, along the I-41 corridor through the Fox Cities and Green Bay, the Madison area and scattered areas in central and western Wisconsin.
Contact Sharon Roznik at 920-907-7936 or [email protected] Follow her on Facebook at facebook.com/reporterroz/
Read or Share this story: https://www.fdlreporter.com/story/news/2020/03/13/wisconsin-coronavirus-spectrum-offers-students-free-internet-access/5042351002/
- The Year the Internet Thought I Was MacKenzie Bezos – WIRED
- Easy ways to get the fastest internet connection possible in your home – Komando
- Elon Musk says Starlink internet private beta to begin in roughly three months, public beta in six – TechCrunch
- Verizon is canceling home internet installations during the pandemic – The Verge
- Ethiopia’s internet shutdowns are disrupting millions of lives – Quartz Africa
- How to check if your service provider is throttling your internet – CNET
- 8 charts on internet use around the world as countries grapple with COVID-19 – Pew Research Center
- How to boost your home internet speeds while you’re stuck at home: Tech Support – Yahoo Money
- Welcome (Back) to the Appointment Internet – New York Magazine