Since its release, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has broken records around the globe. In Australia and New Zealand, it’s no different. The company’s biggest crossover in history has now officially become the fastest-selling home console Nintendo game ever released within the two countries – surpassing existing launch sales of titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
According to Nintendo Australia, Ultimate’s sales over the first three days locally were 80 per cent higher than Super Mario Odyssey, which has gone on to sell more than 12 million copies worldwide. Another amazing fact is how five of Nintendo’s ten best-ever game launches locally are now on the Switch.
Here’s what Nintendo Australia’s Managing Director Kamon Yoshimura had to say about Ultimate’s milestone:
“We are thrilled that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now both the fastest-selling game in the series and our fastest-selling home console game in Australia and New Zealand. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the biggest Super Smash Bros. ever, and we look forward to bringing exciting experiences to players in 2019 with new games in the Animal Crossing and Pokémon series, alongside Yoshi’s Crafted World, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and more.”
This success follows strong sales in the US, Europe and Japan. In its launch week, Ultimate sold 1.2 million copies in Japan. In the US, the game has already shifted 3 million copies and across Europe, it has become the fastest-selling Nintendo game of all-time.
Are you surprised by the success of Smash so far? Do you expect it to eventually surpass lifetime sales of Nintendo’s other major releases? Tell us in the comments.
- [LLODO] Canada national pleads guilty to attempting to bring illegal immigrants into US by way of the Caribbean
- [LLODO] Maryland school employee’s alleged Zoom masturbation didn’t break state law, police say
- [LLODO] US warships in Persian Gulf have suffer COVID-19 outbreaks
- [LLODO] Florida official under sheriff’s investigation after coronavirus vaccine VIP list scandal
- [LLODO] Florida’s Tyndall Air Force Base sees jet crash land; pilots hospitalized
- [LLODO] Peter Gotti, mob boss brother of ‘Dapper Don’ John Gotti, dead at 81
- [LLODO] Florida resident reports shooting naked man carrying Bible: cops
- [LLODO] Texas utility customer files $1B lawsuit against Griddy after electric bill tops $9,000
- [LLODO] Wife of murdered American Airlines executive allegedly tied to shooting