WASHINGTON ― Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Tuesday he is directing lead Senate Democrats to draft bipartisan legislation investing in disruptive new technologies in order to challenge China.
Details are expected to emerge as they are proposed, but the bill would pump dollars into reshoring U.S. manufacture of semiconductors, which are at the center of a global shortage, as well as other manufacturing and supply chain vulnerabilities.
“I want this bill to address America’s short-term and long-term plans to protect the semiconductor supply chain, and to keep us number one in things like AI, 5G, quantum computing, biomedical research, [data] storage,” Schumer said Tuesday, adding that the goal is to introduce a bipartisan bill this spring.
“We need to get a bill like this to the president’s desk quickly to protect America’s long term economic and national security.”
The move comes as President Joe Biden is mulling how his administration will counter Beijing geopolitically and technologically, but also as China faces more opposition than ever in Washington due to its trade record, territorial disputes with neighbors, and accusations of technology theft and spying. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have identified China as the gravest national security threat to the United States.
Biden’s campaign platform called for a four-year investment of $300 billion in R&D for new technology such as 5G, artificial intelligence, advanced materials and electric cars.
At the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier in the day, experts sounded the alarm that the U.S. could fall behind in developing key technologies, while panel lawmakers voiced worries that the Pentagon isn’t investing correctly to counter Chinese dominance in the tech sphere.
Website of source
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com