Organizers for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Tuesday announced plans to postpone the popular festival to the weekends of Oct. 9 and Oct. 16 and move its sister production, the Stagecoach Country Music Festival, to Oct. 23, following roughly a day of speculation, reports and fear over the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Long before the news was official, even, fans of the festival were split in their opinions, with some hailing a Coachella at the peak of pumpkin spice season and others upset they had to wait another seven months for the festival.
Here’s a sampling of the internet’s thoughts.
For starters there were the people who were all about having Coachella and Stagecoach in October.
pumpkin spice latte time at coachella 🤠 https://t.co/TRgIk0P6HS
— dom solo (@d_leyco) March 10, 2020
Me and my bestie sneaking in some pumpkin spice latte into Coachella pic.twitter.com/79FkRDoCRc
— 👽 (@UnofficialJosh) March 10, 2020
Me pulling up to Coachella in October pic.twitter.com/W6X24w9NGd
— Dylan Barbour (@therealDBcoop) March 10, 2020
Coachella in October is going to look like every SEC football home game. pic.twitter.com/93Gmb6gE6W
— Griff. (@griffpr) March 10, 2020
Looks like my birthday month just got better 😁 Stagecoach in October 🤠
— K A N D I C E (@ZyyKan) March 10, 2020
Then there were others who were not.
so Coachella officially confirmed time to cancel my hotel and book for Vegas haha
— Emotional Shawty (@whatupitsmanny) March 10, 2020
I don’t like the idea of Coachella in October. It ruins the whole “start of summer” vibe w/ my friends 😔
— marïtza 💛🤍💜 (@maritzam__) March 10, 2020
— Mariela🌻 (@xomarielap) March 10, 2020
— Highlight (@HilightOfficial) March 10, 2020
Was supposed to be my first Coachella and now it’s moved to the weekend of my brothers wedding 😔 https://t.co/DibFUMIAvH
— Nico Suave (@nicodominguez17) March 10, 2020
WOW MF MY FIRST STAGECOACH AND ITS POSTPONED AND I CANT GO BYE
— anki (@anhz00) March 10, 2020
Even Elon Musk — yeah, Tesla’s Elon Musk — had some thoughts and in this case, Coachella clapped back.
— Coachella (@coachella) March 10, 2020
There was the crowd that believed preventing the spread of the virus might make a postponement worth it.
All of your friends & family who have asthma or are older than 60 have a higher risk of complications and death from covid-19.
I get that a lot of you are mad about Coachella, but a little perspective helps. https://t.co/gAOdxTiDhf
— Kristin 🍀 Ramirez (@Brite_Eyez80) March 10, 2020
On Facebook I’m watching friends in California debating whether Coachella will be canceled. In 1918 the Spanish flu was spread by a Philadelphia parade. We aren’t going to be having large gatherings until we have a vaccine. I just feel like people aren’t yet taking this seriously
— Melissa Adams (@MelissaAnnAdams) March 10, 2020
There was also a contingent of people who wanted to make it very clear that no, Indio in October is not a place where you’ll be crunching on freshly fallen leaves in your Ugg boots and jeans. It’s going to be hot. Like, really, really hot (and very cold at night).
PSA to everyone attending Coachella and stagecoach in october. Its hotter in October than April here. Prepare for it. That’s all.
— Hannah (@HydraHannah) March 10, 2020
So Coachella…Fact Check:
1) @Coachella is going to be warmer in October than April. No one is wearing cute jackets and boots, fools!
2) You’re still not going to be fit. Stop playing! #Coachella #CoachellaCancelled #Coachella2020 pic.twitter.com/4KVaBqikMq
— Melanie Balke (@mbalke4) March 10, 2020
I went to Coachella in ‘99 when they had it in October. You think April gets hot?? pic.twitter.com/SL9vqY853s
— Adam Vadnais (@VadnaisAdam) March 10, 2020
Y’all gonna FREEZE camping at Coachella in October. Do you even realize how cold it gets out there? 😂
— Rae △⃒⃘ (@ItsRavenBro_) March 10, 2020
This story is developing. Check back for updates.
- The Year the Internet Thought I Was MacKenzie Bezos – WIRED
- Easy ways to get the fastest internet connection possible in your home – Komando
- Elon Musk says Starlink internet private beta to begin in roughly three months, public beta in six – TechCrunch
- Verizon is canceling home internet installations during the pandemic – The Verge
- Ethiopia’s internet shutdowns are disrupting millions of lives – Quartz Africa
- How to check if your service provider is throttling your internet – CNET
- 8 charts on internet use around the world as countries grapple with COVID-19 – Pew Research Center
- How to boost your home internet speeds while you’re stuck at home: Tech Support – Yahoo Money
- Welcome (Back) to the Appointment Internet – New York Magazine