Gamers from the ’90s will be pleased to hear Sony is releasing a miniature PlayStation console that comes loaded with 20 original PlayStation games. Similar to Nintendo’s NES and SNES Classics, the console itself will be significantly smaller than the original, though the included replica controllers will be full size. Dubbed the PlayStation Classic, it’s set to release on December 3, exactly 24 years after the original system launched in Japan. It will cost $100 / $130 CAN.
It took a while, but Sony has finally announced the full lineup, which you can find below. Some of the highlights include Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. The unit will ship with an HDMI cable, USB cable, and two wired controllers. Notably, it does not come with an AC adapter.
It’s also worth noting that it ships with replicas of the original PS1 controller, which doesn’t have analog sticks. In 1997, Sony released the DualShock controller for PS1, which many people regard as a significant improvement, thanks to its two analog sticks and vibration function. There’s no word yet on whether Sony will release DualShock controllers for the PlayStation Classic.
Pre-Order PlayStation Classic
It’s unclear how many PlayStation Classic units Sony will make available at launch. But since the NES and SNES Classic consoles were notoriously difficulty to find early on, it’s probably wise to pre-order the PS Classic if you’re interested in picking one up at launch. Here’s where you can place a pre-order.
Note that this item has been going in and out of stock at most of these retailers, so if you can’t find it in stock now, you may have better luck if you check back later.
PlayStation Classic Full Game List
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Cool Boarders 2
- Destruction Derby
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr Driller
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut
- Revelations: Persona
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms
- [LLODO] Florida golfer, 74, apparently drowns after searching for missing ball
- [LLODO] This Day in History: March 1
- [LLODO] CA teachers union president who led school closure charge seen dropping daughter off at in-person preschool
- [LLODO] Plastic surgeon appears in court video call while performing surgery
- [LLODO] Cuomo claims he was being ‘playful,’ admits might have been ‘insensitive’ amid harassment allegations
- [LLODO] 3 Kansas police officers injured by modified shotgun inside vacant home: cops
- [LLODO] Eastern US faces flash flooding risk, warmer-than-average temperatures
- [LLODO] Girl, 4, found alone on NYC sidewalk is still unclaimed three days later